Grab your hammer, light saber or adamantium claws kids we are going to Break a CGC Case!!!!
Few of reasons why a collector would want to break a CGC Case may include the following:
- The Three A’s-An author, actor or more than likely an artist is going to appear at a Comic Convention near you and you want to get a signature and that sweet yellow tag
- Oh Mr. Clean- You want to get your comic pressed and/or cleaned in order to get a higher grade
- Mine, mine- You noticed that the little scribbles that you first thought was a 10-year old kid making his mark on his comics to avoid them being taken during show and tell is actually one of the Three A’s mentioned above and want to send to PGX to get them verified (yes some services are better at PGX, catch up CGC!!!)
When you Break a CGC Case it is very important to remember to take your time. None of us have the time stone hanging around our neck so any damage to the book can drastically hurt your value and the Comic Book Boys will not reimburse you for damages rendered while you were watching this video. Once again…. Take Your Time!!!!
Now that our lawyer Matt Murdock is happy let’s break down how to Break a CGC Case:
As always clear a space so you can work. Remove all liquids from the table (while water is the essence that brings life it is the mortal enemy of paper)
Gather a flat head screwdriver, scissors and a thin tool to use for a wedge (I prefer another flat head screwdriver)
Now comes the fun part:
- Carefully find a weak point in the case that you can fit your flat head screwdriver on the top of your graded comic and gently move down the side
- Every few centimeters turn the screwdriver clockwise or counter clockwise to loosen the seal. It is common to see the plastic splinter but as long as you don’t shred your comic try not to over react.
- The corners can be tricky and the best way is to just take your time and try your best not to damage your book.
- Once break the seal on the side and bottom of your book carefully remove said book and place the plastic cover out of your way.
- Now that you have your book separated from the hard candy outside let’s get to the peanut. Take your scissors and slowly cut along side of the soft plastic cover ensuring that there no comic exposed to the blades
And Voila, which is French for I found something, you now have a raw book that you now can get signed, pressed and cleaned or re-certed.